Ohh, yeah. You read that right.
Pizza. Grilled. Cheese.
The Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board e-mailed me a while back offering me a copy of Grilled Cheese, Please! to review and giveaway. Of course I jumped at the chance. I’m a sucker for a grilled cheese sandwich, and there are some in here that sound dee-lish. Like the Chips and Guacamole grilled cheese. And the double cheddar with tomato jam.
And, this pizza grilled cheese. I mean, it’s just genius. And it’s easy!!
ooey, gooey goodness
Pizza grilled cheese
From Grilled Cheese, Please!
Makes 4 sandwiches
3 tbsp. olive oil
8 oz white or brown mushrooms, stems removed and sliced 1/4 inch thick
4 ciabatta rolls
1/2 cup pizza sauce
12 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced (or if using vacuum-packed mozzarella, coarsely grated)
1/2 cup sliced black olives (I omitted since I don’t like olives)
4 oz. pepperoni, sliced thin
2 medium tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in large nonstick pan and cook mushrooms until soft, about 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and remove from pan.
2. Cut ciabatta roll horizontally, pinch out some of the soft centers of the bread to create a well. Turn bread slices, crust side up and brush with remaining oil. (Note: It is imperative that you use a GIGANTIC brush, otherwise your sandwich will not turn out.) (Just kidding.)
3. Flip bread pieces over and spread pizza sauce over bottom slices, then top with half the cheese, mushrooms, olives, pepperoni. Eat a few slices of pepperoni …
4. Top with more cheese, tomato slices (I skipped), and sprinkle with oregano, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Spread top slices of bread with pizza sauce and place on top of filling.
5. Cook on stovetop: Heat nonstick pan over med-low to medium heat for 2 minutes. Put sandwiches in the pan, cover and cook for 5-6 minutes, until the undersides begin to brown. Turn the sandwiches, pressing firmly on sandwiches to compress filling. Cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes until the undersides are golden brown. Turn sandwiches once more, pressing firmly, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until cheese is melted completely.
OR cook in panini press until cheese is melted.
And then, enjoy the ooey, gooey goodness.
cheesy deliciousness - SEXY!
Now, for the giveaway!! You know you want this book – so, here’s two ways to enter (be sure to leave separate comments for entries!)
1. Leave a comment below. (It can be about anything!)
2. Tweet about this giveaway. I want to win Grilled Cheese, Please! from @blackcatkitchen and @wisconsincheese
I’ll choose a winner on June 10!